Final exam time is in our midst so I decided to stock up on some grab-able granola snacks. These granola bars have a nice balance - not too soft, yet not too crispy with a natural sweetness from the cranberries and banana. Great brain food for the hours of studying ahead. Yields about 20 bars.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup unpacked light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup dried, cranberries
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
(1) Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease a 9x13 glass dish.
(2) Toast almonds over stovetop until golden brown. Set to side and let cool.
(3) In a large bowl, combine oats, sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, cranberries, almonds, and salt.
(4) In a medium bowl, whisk honey, egg whites, oil, banana, peanut butter, and vanilla together until well combined.
(5) Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
(6) Spoon the mixture onto the baking dish.
(7) Bake for 30 minutes, or until edges begin to look golden.
(8) Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then cut into squares while they are still warm.