Want to take burrito night to another level? Then, make your own flour tortillas! They are easy to make, fresh as you can get, and if you have any leftovers, they are a great late night nibble. This recipe yields 20 dee-licious flour tortillas.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups water
(1) In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
(2) Mix in the vegetable shortening with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal.
(3) Add the water and mix until the dough comes together.
(4) On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until smooth and elastic.
(5) Divide the dough into 20 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
(6) Place large skillet over medium-high heat.
(7) Roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla, or use a tortilla press.
(8) Place flattened dough into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side.
(9) Continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.
(10) Serve immediately with your favorite burrito fillings, or store in the refrigerator or freezer for later use.